Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Home Office

Home—I love it here. My own space. I’ve spent the entire day in my office working on work (home office day don’t you see) and enjuoying it totally. Why is it I can get everything on my list done today but yesterday the same things never made it to the top? Peace, no interruptions, and the comfort of home. Rain on my windows, wind through the cracks, a good day to hole up and concentrate I guess.

I started playing at basketry a while ago, and Sunday I finished my first complete item. It’s lopsided, misshapen and rather weird looking but will make a perfectly serviceable trash basket. It’s satisfying to work with my hands, to do something with concrete results, even if the results aren’t that good. I learned a lot, after all. While I’m weaving, the cat leaps and grabs at the ends of the reeds, trying to catch and hold them with her clawless paws.

One of the advantages of talking books is that I can read and do something els at the same time. Of course when I do, my concentration is not complete on the book, so it doesn’t work for serious reading. So I’ll just skip serious reading!

1 comment:

Monnik said...

I get so much more done on home office days too. Partly because I feel like I have to prove that I can work at home, and partly because people aren't around to interrupt me or talk me into a coffee run or whatever.

The basket is done, huh? That's cool!

I'm listening to the book "1776" during my commute. Tried to bring it in to listen to while doing housework and I couldn't concentrate on it because it's not a juicy novel. Guess I have to be captive in my van to pay attention.