Thursday, April 12, 2007

The Perils of the Interview

I was interviewed on TV today, a two-minute opportunity to ask for volunteers to help with a critical work project. It was live, on the daytime news show.\

The interview can be an amazing thing. The person who interviewed me live today had to take exactly what I said, in context, without spin or reshaping. I think I like live interviews, even though you have one big chance to screw up and none to recover. However, the taped interview, and the newspaper interview can spin what you say so completely that you can’t find yourself in it. The last time this same person interviewed me, the lead-in, the commentary, and the basic story put what I said so far out of context that I sincerely wished I hadn’t agreed to the interview. From now on, live interviews only!! Or none at all!!

Guess I should remember that when I write feature stories of my own, huh?

Word for the day—Atavistic (I always have trouble with this one)
reverting to or suggesting the characteristics of a remote ancestor or primitive type. Throwback.

No comments: